Sunday 24 November 2013

Stage Door: A film review.

 Last night I finally got my hands on a copy of the 1937 film Stage Door, and boy was it worth the wait. Set in New York in the 30's the film follows the lives of a group of young actresses who live together in a boarding house as they fight and struggle to get jobs in the theatre. What originally drew me to the film was all the stars that it features like Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers and my favourite starlet Lucille Ball, but what kept me interested was the fantastic dry humour that all the characters seemed to have which caused quite a few chuckles from my end. The costumes are of course beautiful with the ladies wearing suits, high waisted trousers and some stunning furs. But don't take my word for it, take a looky loo at some of the photos of the film.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
The dingy bedrooms and cramped space really gave off that struggling actress feeling that a lot of us creative folk can relate to.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


 I completely love this polka dot romper that Ginger Rogers is wearing, I would love one for myself for Summer. Just need to find the right pattern.













 There is defiantly a plethora of outfit inspiration throughout the film. I mean look at that coat, my God.




 
 
 
 
 













 
 
 
 
 
 

 Lucille Ball being a total babe.




 Having since left uni after finishing my performing arts degree two years ago I have to say I really related to the women of this film and what feels like the constant waiting for jobs. The running gag of the film is that the women are constantly going on dates with horrid men so that they can get a free meal and miss out crummy stew that the house matron serves them.
All in all I would highly recommend Stage Door to all the retro film lovers out there, especially the sarcastic ones.

Until next time,
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Velvet Rosie

1 comment:

  1. This film is one of my 'put it on in that background for inspiration' films! The outfits are amazing and the story line so dramatic! Ginger Rogers is her classic elegant and back chatting self. Thanks for the post! Love VV xxx

    ReplyDelete