Wednesday 30 October 2013

Halloween part II

Happy Halloween folks! I know a lot of you will be doing nothing today as it is not an Australian tradition, and I'm sad to say that I will be joining you in not celebrating this year. Unfortunately due to my own stupidity I sprained my knee on Monday and have been housebound ever since. So today instead of dressing up and going to work in my custom made Spider-girl costume, I will be on the couch watching Once Upon a Time and consuming my body weight in carbs. Ok, so enough of the pity party.
I thought to lighten to the mood I would share some photo's from last years Halloween celebrations instead.


 
Day one of Halloween celebrations I dressed as a Pam Am Sturdiest. Last year Pan Am the tv program aired and I was totally addicted, if you can find a copy I highly recommend it. Unfortunately it was cancelled after one season (like all good shows) so I thought it would be fitting to be a plane crash victim as homage to the show crashing and burning on the US ratings scale. The burn was achieved using Mehron liquid latex with tissues over the top to create texture. I added another layer of liquid latex and waited for it to dry. I then used the Mehron 3 colour bruise kit to create depth and shadow before covering the whole thing in scab blood.

 
The result was quite icky, I made a child cry unfortunately.
 
 
 
 
 On the 31st I wore my 50's Beetlejuice costume. Each year I like to do a classic costume and then a 50's version of a costume. I got the dress from Bettie Page but as it was an old design I had to track it down from one of their retailers in Canada (such an ordeal). I had to have this dress as it was perfect and there was nothing with vertical striped last year, unlike this year when Pinup Girl Clothing released the most perfect outfit for Beetlejuice, you can see it here. Anyway I digress. The stockings are from Leg Avenue and the wig is actually a 20's finger wave wig I teased up and added black regrowth to. You can't really see it in the photo but it has flies and spiders glued in it. I really loved making this costume, the only problem was my face paint kept coming off around my mouth from talking all day so I was constantly reapplying.
 
 
With my lovely bride Lydia.
 
 
 
Luckily for me I had a chance to dress up on Friday before hurting myself on Monday. Since I spend so much time and money on my Spider-girl costume I had no time to make another outfit so I just borrowed our Snow White dress from work. The wig is the same one I used last year for my Pan Am outfit I just trimmed the fringe into bettie bangs and teased up the roots so it was a bit more Bettie Page like. It turned out quite well and was easy to work in too.
 
 




Gotta love a bathroom selfie.
 



"The Evil Queen is here?"


So that pretty much wraps us Halloween for me this year. Hopefully I am better by the weekend and can dress up and still wear my costume, it would be a shame for it to go to waste. What is everyone else up to this Halloween? I'd love you hear about your costumes.



Until next time,
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Velvet Rosie.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment